The Caroline Mark Home has been in existence since 1906 and has been on the list of National Historic Sites since 1987. Over that time 350 women have walked through its halls and called it home. It has become a landmark for Mount Carroll and surrounding area with its prairie style architecture made famous beginning in the early 1900’s by Frank Lloyd Wright and his proteges.
Located on spacious grounds with many trees, the two story building with its marble stairway is constructed of brick and mortar, steel, concrete and tile. The only wood used is the beautiful oak used for its moldings, trim and doors. The original mosaic tile floor with Caroline Mark inscribed in it is still part of the decor. Certain updates have occurred over the years but always with the idea to keep the original building design intact.
Each resident has her own room in which she can use her creativity to decorate any way she pleases. A large dining room is at one end of the building where the residents gather for meals, and a sitting room at the other end which is used by the residents for entertaining, watching TV or just relaxing.
At present, 14 women are residents, the longest living there 18 years and the newest just several months. In keeping with Mrs. Marks wishes, no room and board fees have ever been charged.